Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Living the Dream with a Quest for Space

Crisp, heavy air filled with salt from the sea and humidity flows in through the balcony off our living room and find its way out through the kitchen balcony, along with the aroma of spices. My grandma cooking in the kitchen while my granddad watched TV, our maid washing the vessels, my mom and my two aunts getting ready to go to work, and my grandma’s sister and her son hanging out with us. I sat with my granddad and looked on upon all of them. We also had more relatives come stay with us anytime they visited our city. 

This was a typical day growing up. A lovely 900 sq. ft. house, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a long living and dining room with a balcony, leading into the kitchen and a kitchen balcony where all the cleaning supplies were loaded up and washing of clothes and utensils took place. Those were the happiest of times in life, when we literally bumped into each other but did not really realize it because of all the fun we had. We still managed to give privacy to my second aunt and uncle when my uncle’s family first came to visit us for an arranged marriage proposal. I still had my space and quiet when I had to prep for an important exam. My first aunt found her corner to write love letters to her fiancĂ© and my grandparents found time every evening to reignite their romance by enjoying a cup of tea in the balcony and a long chat. That apartment gave us plenty and honestly, was quite big for us all. 

Once of the reasons I loved New York city was because I lived in a similar fashion. I found a less than 300 sq. ft. room for myself in an apartment which I shared with three other people. The walls of my room have witnessed laughter from my mom, boyfriend, friends, colleagues, acquaintances... A room on a hot summer night in Brooklyn hosted 8 of my grad school friends. I remember when one of my good friends called us to her place for lunch on the Upper East Side. Three of us went to her 5th floor walkup and entered her house to realize it ended immediately. We all placed ourselves in corners we could find, as we popped open a window half way to allow for some ventilation. She made us the yummiest of home cooked south Indian food, which we relished as our elbows knocked each other. I’m yet to have sambar that tasty, or enjoyed a meal with so much joy!

We moved to Texas and encountered a lifestyle that was different. No one spoke of houses smaller than 1,500 sq. ft. or without a yard. My husband and I, both from typical south Indian middle class living continued to share a car and live in a smaller house. Our current place is beautiful… and is probably categorized as a “tiny” home in Austin. A 800 sq. ft. house with two rooms and one bathroom, it provides us both with just what we need at this stage of our life. We have been contemplating buying a house and have been doing our research this year – but nothing seems to satisfy our growing needs (or should I say wants) for our new home. The reasons we want to move are fairly legitimate since this house is literally falling apart on us since it was built in 1947 with almost no upgrades since then. So we started looking at other places we can move into. 

I’m using need very liberally in the rest of my rant here; of course, we need a two bed room should we have guests and lets not even discuss having a place with less than two bathrooms. We need a yard for our dog, because who will walk the dog every morning? A two-car garage for both our cars and space for visitors to park is a must. At one point I wonder if the house is for us, or potential visitors who spend less than 10% of a year with us? We need a kitchen that is big enough for more than two of us to be able to prep and cook together, because that is the only way we can cook and eat at home every day. The need goes on, our budget goes up, and houses still fall short of our needs.

Somehow anyone I speak to about this in this country, irrespective of their background, seem to think we need all of the things I’ve mentioned above, if not more. I’ve heard many people even say they don’t know how we have lived in a place that does not have a dishwasher, and it has been two years for us having lived this way. Of course, as I complained about my kitchen not having enough counter space, I also heard my cousin complain about how her kitchen is too big that her folks feel like they have a work out every time they cook. Who defines an optimal size for a kitchen anyway?

And before you think of it, let me clarify, no, we are not being frugal in our lifestyle because we are paying a price for being in a good neighborhood close to everything in the city, but the price is still very small, and for many, cannot justify us being content with this lifestyle. 

Well, I can try to wrap my head around folks in this country. What I find extremely difficult to comprehend is how our parents also seem to feel the same way, to the extent that I’ve had them tell us they will visit once we move to a bigger place. Coming from folks who have lived in a house with one bathroom since the 80-s to date. I am not complaining, I am just appalled at how our minds have changed, how much we take our lifestyle for granted. 

Aspirations are good, and I know wants drive our motivation to achieve more and ultimately live the life of our dreams. I cannot but think of all the times that I’ve hosted friends right from my room in Syracuse and Brooklyn, to our one bedroom in Jersey and two bedrooms in Texas. There is something exciting about living in a place where I can have a conversation with the entire house and have it cluttered with people and laughter. Less space in the kitchen allows for bumping into each other for more kisses, one bathroom allows us to be mindful of each other’s needs, and of course nothing can beat the Sunday afternoons of my husband, my pup, and me cozying up on our three-seater couch for a movie and nap…

I’ll hold these thoughts close to my heart, because once I put my pen down, I’ll go back to looking at less appealing 2000 sq. ft. houses, because I don’t like the tiles on the floor, or that it is not a granite or quartz counter tops in the kitchen. 





4 comments:

  1. I hope you find the perfect tiny home!! Buying a new house is one of the top four most stressful things to do. When Brian and I were looking for our house, we realized that it would be impossible to find exactly what we were looking for unless we wanted to move even further out of town. I was terrified to buy a big house but it made financial sense at the time.
    It took a little while to get used to BUT, in the end it's the memories we've made in this house that have made it a home, and that can really happen anywhere you lay your head. Good luck! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I can literally envision everything you have described:) you will find your ideal home soon and in that,you will still bump into each other and rub shoulders, and at the same time find room for all your 'wants' It's what we make of our home. Much love.

    ReplyDelete